Maybe put it on a canvas instead of someone’s property, and we can all be happy.
who paying for these canvases or the art programs so these kids can have that? Why should it matter if these run down buildings that never get fixed up anyway get graffiti’d?
Therein lies the issue. Art programs, both visual and performance based, are the first programs to be cut. Canvas ain’t cheap. Neither are the supplies. Much of the graffiti that takes place IS on buildings that are run down. The gov’t didn’t place any value on these properties and yet get pissy with dudes “vandalizing” their shit. You can’t have it both ways, ya dig.
My father was a garment contractor in LA. In the late 80s, he owned the building where he had his factory. He thought it would be a cool idea to commission local graffiti artists, usually young Black and Latino men looking to stay out of trouble, to paint murals on his buildings. After all, he runs a garment design/manufacturing company, and creative signage is great advertising.
One day, he showed up to the building and the city just painted over the murals without permission or notice.
First, the city told him he couldn’t have graffiti art on HIS building because it brought down property value. After he complained, then they said: ok you can do this, but you need a permit. After he got the permit, then the city said: ok, but you can only use these artists. Of course, these artists were all White graphic design students from USC, and of course they charged 3x more.
There is a prejudice against this type of art, and it’s racial. Banksy vandalizes folks buildings all the time, and folks treat him like the Messiah. He ain’t doing nothing new that Black and Brown folks haven’t done for decades.
FUCKING TRUTH RIGHT HERE ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
- dancedevindance reblogged this from hurricanepink
- cateyedfox36 reblogged this from crucifigo
- cateyedfox36 likes this
- grbeexd reblogged this from sociallychallengednerd
- grbeexd likes this
- mostly-confusion reblogged this from serketssssssss
- letsbluebird likes this
- yanethyrael reblogged this from sarahttaylor
- dust-of-sleep reblogged this from lithnathron
- captainamurrrica reblogged this from mariazucena
- iffyllama likes this
- vwlphb likes this
- whippedcherries reblogged this from expertbitchcrafter
- sir-ryttefors reblogged this from tsunderedork
- lithnathron reblogged this from insaneaxewielder
- mightyaubs likes this
- insaneaxewielder reblogged this from tsunderedork
- hurricanepink reblogged this from sketchhead
- fannycake reblogged this from sourdoughsweetheart
- kankrisepicpants reblogged this from sourdoughsweetheart
- tsunderedork reblogged this from daedric-sandwiches
- tsunderedork likes this
- palcaryth reblogged this from daedric-sandwiches
- palcaryth likes this
- hasilith reblogged this from tricksterdemongabriel
- hasilith likes this
- ask-gearshift likes this
- morrokei likes this
- the-hardest-thing-is reblogged this from fireinhersoul
- fireinhersoul reblogged this from human-timelord-metacrisis
- platypus-in-a-bottle likes this
- taskmaster-peryite reblogged this from tinycakey
- weasleyisourkingbitch reblogged this from sketchyeh
- pavementnarrows reblogged this from thyme-lapsed
- fine-cuisine likes this
- fine-cuisine reblogged this from tricksterdemongabriel
- melodicalmegidoladyne reblogged this from sociallychallengednerd
- melodicalmegidoladyne likes this
- ceryslouiselove likes this
- kawaii-porcupette-empress reblogged this from lethalgender
- seafoamgreen88 reblogged this from deviantjorge
- venusdebacon reblogged this from crucifigo
- venusdebacon likes this
- anunconnectedroad likes this
- eyebrowsarecool13 likes this
- twitchypangolin reblogged this from crucifigo
- ihearthemsirenz likes this
- nitojuanito reblogged this from ask-lumineeblue