Maybe put it on a canvas instead of someone’s property, and we can all be happy.
who paying for these canvases or the art programs so these kids can have that? Why should it matter if these run down buildings that never get fixed up anyway get graffiti’d?
Therein lies the issue. Art programs, both visual and performance based, are the first programs to be cut. Canvas ain’t cheap. Neither are the supplies. Much of the graffiti that takes place IS on buildings that are run down. The gov’t didn’t place any value on these properties and yet get pissy with dudes “vandalizing” their shit. You can’t have it both ways, ya dig.
My father was a garment contractor in LA. In the late 80s, he owned the building where he had his factory. He thought it would be a cool idea to commission local graffiti artists, usually young Black and Latino men looking to stay out of trouble, to paint murals on his buildings. After all, he runs a garment design/manufacturing company, and creative signage is great advertising.
One day, he showed up to the building and the city just painted over the murals without permission or notice.
First, the city told him he couldn’t have graffiti art on HIS building because it brought down property value. After he complained, then they said: ok you can do this, but you need a permit. After he got the permit, then the city said: ok, but you can only use these artists. Of course, these artists were all White graphic design students from USC, and of course they charged 3x more.
There is a prejudice against this type of art, and it’s racial. Banksy vandalizes folks buildings all the time, and folks treat him like the Messiah. He ain’t doing nothing new that Black and Brown folks haven’t done for decades.
FUCKING TRUTH RIGHT HERE ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
- theamazingmrtopcatt reblogged this from lmsig
- theamazingmrtopcatt likes this
- almost-joy reblogged this from 17mul
- lmsig reblogged this from 17mul
- lmsig likes this
- rach-el-ese likes this
- 17mul reblogged this from musingsofanawkwardblackgirl
- upaa likes this
- feuertrunkenbrax reblogged this from newandclassicwho
- scottiebeagin reblogged this from drunken-bakeneko
- m-one1 reblogged this from theblacklesbiancorner
- m-one1 likes this
- cynicalbeat reblogged this from tazimusprime
- candy-princess122 reblogged this from pinkuchama
- tazimusprime reblogged this from everypathisatributary
- sherlockian-vortex reblogged this from myhappy-littlepill
- alexandra-again reblogged this from nethilia
- nonbinarybard reblogged this from therealpotter
- consolidatedcuriosity likes this
- therealpotter reblogged this from kaylainfuckingwonderland
- ask-sheogorath-god-of-madness likes this
- imma-unicorn-rawr reblogged this from an-american-anglophile
- imma-unicorn-rawr likes this
- mychemicalfalloutpilots likes this
- an-american-anglophile reblogged this from mothewiseone and added:
- mothewiseone reblogged this from myhappy-littlepill
- myhappy-littlepill reblogged this from supermansundies
- blackcatisi likes this
- neverjay reblogged this from robaemea
- pennyloveee reblogged this from sugarbaes
- parisaurus-rex reblogged this from sam-fitzherbert
- jonny-than likes this
- jeisurry reblogged this from sassmasterofficial
- thecatzzzme0w likes this
- supermansundies reblogged this from sassmasterofficial
- supermansundies likes this
- tristin-mcr likes this
- familyscribe likes this
- lian-ess reblogged this from forging-neural-pathways
- toliveistochange reblogged this from sassmasterofficial
- sassmasterofficial reblogged this from midnightpledgesandpromises
- knights-and-fallen-angels likes this
- alkizen reblogged this from thepreciousthing
- dircats-activism reblogged this from iammyfather
- mmmmmeeeeeehhhhhhh likes this
- afreakandageek likes this
- trippingfreud reblogged this from lost-my-life-to-fandoms
- trippingfreud likes this
- hanabeta reblogged this from thepreciousthing