Maybe put it on a canvas instead of someone’s property, and we can all be happy.
who paying for these canvases or the art programs so these kids can have that? Why should it matter if these run down buildings that never get fixed up anyway get graffiti’d?
Therein lies the issue. Art programs, both visual and performance based, are the first programs to be cut. Canvas ain’t cheap. Neither are the supplies. Much of the graffiti that takes place IS on buildings that are run down. The gov’t didn’t place any value on these properties and yet get pissy with dudes “vandalizing” their shit. You can’t have it both ways, ya dig.
My father was a garment contractor in LA. In the late 80s, he owned the building where he had his factory. He thought it would be a cool idea to commission local graffiti artists, usually young Black and Latino men looking to stay out of trouble, to paint murals on his buildings. After all, he runs a garment design/manufacturing company, and creative signage is great advertising.
One day, he showed up to the building and the city just painted over the murals without permission or notice.
First, the city told him he couldn’t have graffiti art on HIS building because it brought down property value. After he complained, then they said: ok you can do this, but you need a permit. After he got the permit, then the city said: ok, but you can only use these artists. Of course, these artists were all White graphic design students from USC, and of course they charged 3x more.
There is a prejudice against this type of art, and it’s racial. Banksy vandalizes folks buildings all the time, and folks treat him like the Messiah. He ain’t doing nothing new that Black and Brown folks haven’t done for decades.
FUCKING TRUTH RIGHT HERE ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
- itsjustamy reblogged this from epithode
- ladylokilove reblogged this from epithode
- baneofrain reblogged this from epithode
- epithode reblogged this from venndigo
- m4rtaaroverd reblogged this from aventurema
- russnj likes this
- madammayh3m reblogged this from makotokinoo
- madammayh3m likes this
- my-dead-wonderland reblogged this from booksblanketsandtea
- pol-ski reblogged this from closet-sherlockian
- yesthatsverynicedear reblogged this from closet-sherlockian
- sorry-i-am-sher-locked reblogged this from insatiablebookgeek
- sorry-i-am-sher-locked likes this
- rainbowsandmarbles likes this
- goodbye-jawnlock likes this
- insatiablebookgeek reblogged this from closet-sherlockian
- insatiablebookgeek likes this
- wang78739 likes this
- charlypezza likes this
- closet-sherlockian reblogged this from superneoncat
- superneoncat reblogged this from booksblanketsandtea
- superneoncat likes this
- booksblanketsandtea reblogged this from mousew15a
- mousew15a reblogged this from boazpriestly
- hypnos11 reblogged this from maltliquorbreath
- hypnos11 likes this
- deduce-his-heart reblogged this from strix-scandiaca
- roamthymind likes this
- youreasbrightasthesun likes this
- legenwaitforitdaaary likes this
- kylebeltran likes this
- itsnotjane reblogged this from preci0usj3m
- itsnotjane likes this
- aventurema reblogged this from anaubeautifullittlefool
- aventurema likes this
- passdajuice reblogged this from maltliquorbreath
- preci0usj3m reblogged this from russnj
- itskatiehere likes this
- tdotle reblogged this from peekatjessiie
- peekatjessiie likes this
- peekatjessiie reblogged this from russnj
- braed reblogged this from madds98
- rowrowrowan likes this
- russnj reblogged this from maltliquorbreath
- whatsnewfolks likes this
- liloreoboi reblogged this from maltliquorbreath
- ahlaynahh likes this
- maltliquorbreath reblogged this from crazyheazy
- crazyheazy reblogged this from radio-inactive