Maybe put it on a canvas instead of someone’s property, and we can all be happy.
who paying for these canvases or the art programs so these kids can have that? Why should it matter if these run down buildings that never get fixed up anyway get graffiti’d?
Therein lies the issue. Art programs, both visual and performance based, are the first programs to be cut. Canvas ain’t cheap. Neither are the supplies. Much of the graffiti that takes place IS on buildings that are run down. The gov’t didn’t place any value on these properties and yet get pissy with dudes “vandalizing” their shit. You can’t have it both ways, ya dig.
My father was a garment contractor in LA. In the late 80s, he owned the building where he had his factory. He thought it would be a cool idea to commission local graffiti artists, usually young Black and Latino men looking to stay out of trouble, to paint murals on his buildings. After all, he runs a garment design/manufacturing company, and creative signage is great advertising.
One day, he showed up to the building and the city just painted over the murals without permission or notice.
First, the city told him he couldn’t have graffiti art on HIS building because it brought down property value. After he complained, then they said: ok you can do this, but you need a permit. After he got the permit, then the city said: ok, but you can only use these artists. Of course, these artists were all White graphic design students from USC, and of course they charged 3x more.
There is a prejudice against this type of art, and it’s racial. Banksy vandalizes folks buildings all the time, and folks treat him like the Messiah. He ain’t doing nothing new that Black and Brown folks haven’t done for decades.
FUCKING TRUTH RIGHT HERE ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
- timberli reblogged this from megii-of-mysteri-ousstranger
- timberli likes this
- break-that-shit-down reblogged this from cute-is-my-superpower
- leveragestar reblogged this from the-hug-ninja
- mikasa-es-tu-kasa reblogged this from dragonic-hearts
- mikasa-es-tu-kasa likes this
- necrobob reblogged this from pazzojinn
- cute-is-my-superpower reblogged this from megii-of-mysteri-ousstranger
- megii-of-mysteri-ousstranger reblogged this from tamikaflynned
- tathrin likes this
- badluck-chester likes this
- goodgirlhaventbeencaught reblogged this from deducingdoctorpotter
- goodgirlhaventbeencaught likes this
- huntigre reblogged this from filthy-hippie-vibes
- poatoes-r-us reblogged this from tayloryorksbuttblog
- poatoes-r-us likes this
- mattisdabes reblogged this from thephilophiliac
- mattisdabes likes this
- quankk reblogged this from pyromaniac-asylum
- brendanhess likes this
- thephilophiliac reblogged this from satouusagi
- a-gh0st-with-a-beating-heart reblogged this from shecries-shedies
- justagirlwithinternetaccess reblogged this from deducingdoctorpotter
- luna-tic66 reblogged this from baron-von-fancy
- luna-tic66 likes this
- supersowe2 reblogged this from phycoxdreamer
- supersowe2 likes this
- deducingdoctorpotter reblogged this from thegirlin221c
- ofcourseimawkward reblogged this from tamikaflynned
- baron-von-fancy reblogged this from cindersandashes3
- thegirlin221c reblogged this from tamikaflynned
- cindersandashes3 reblogged this from tamikaflynned
- shecries-shedies reblogged this from tamikaflynned
- shecries-shedies likes this
- tamikaflynned reblogged this from hannibellie
- sh0wh0st likes this
- daemonkingraasdior reblogged this from pyromaniac-asylum
- majestic-eren reblogged this from teddyrooseveltofficial
- pyromaniac-asylum reblogged this from firelily-poison
- not-fun likes this
- rowiinokomi likes this
- toli-goo likes this
- diswolfeh reblogged this from firelily-poison
- imaginationandheartbreak likes this
- unicornsingingintherainbow reblogged this from tardisgoesding and added:
- tardisgoesding reblogged this from firelily-poison
- tardisgoesding likes this
- helllanie likes this
- alexleal-the-dork likes this
- mnorgyn likes this