Maybe put it on a canvas instead of someone’s property, and we can all be happy.
who paying for these canvases or the art programs so these kids can have that? Why should it matter if these run down buildings that never get fixed up anyway get graffiti’d?
Therein lies the issue. Art programs, both visual and performance based, are the first programs to be cut. Canvas ain’t cheap. Neither are the supplies. Much of the graffiti that takes place IS on buildings that are run down. The gov’t didn’t place any value on these properties and yet get pissy with dudes “vandalizing” their shit. You can’t have it both ways, ya dig.
My father was a garment contractor in LA. In the late 80s, he owned the building where he had his factory. He thought it would be a cool idea to commission local graffiti artists, usually young Black and Latino men looking to stay out of trouble, to paint murals on his buildings. After all, he runs a garment design/manufacturing company, and creative signage is great advertising.
One day, he showed up to the building and the city just painted over the murals without permission or notice.
First, the city told him he couldn’t have graffiti art on HIS building because it brought down property value. After he complained, then they said: ok you can do this, but you need a permit. After he got the permit, then the city said: ok, but you can only use these artists. Of course, these artists were all White graphic design students from USC, and of course they charged 3x more.
There is a prejudice against this type of art, and it’s racial. Banksy vandalizes folks buildings all the time, and folks treat him like the Messiah. He ain’t doing nothing new that Black and Brown folks haven’t done for decades.
FUCKING TRUTH RIGHT HERE ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
- snowfox1111 likes this
- iwalknaked likes this
- iwalknaked reblogged this from mrsjardim
- awilsss reblogged this from deergod666
- erik-mr16 reblogged this from hartlesmage
- quadlutz likes this
- slumbrslumbrs reblogged this from osointricate
- neeble reblogged this from robooboe
- alltheprettyshinythings reblogged this from helena-lastnameredacted
- afrogentlebutch reblogged this from aminutetofourtwenty
- spameggsausageandspam reblogged this from birds-on-brids-on-birds
- thisisthesweetspot reblogged this from both-kinds-of-queer
- buririto likes this
- pugsatan reblogged this from brightstartheory
- pugsatan likes this
- yumeforthebetter reblogged this from 50eathaters
- viacomincorporated reblogged this from regularguy5mb
- regularguy5mb reblogged this from brightstartheory
- regularguy5mb likes this
- 50eathaters reblogged this from clurex
- donttouchmytacos likes this
- vanessadoes reblogged this from essieincinci
- savejenniferfitzsimmons likes this
- ask-rosepeirce-thedemonvampire likes this
- miroku-chanxd reblogged this from snow-must-fall
- miroku-chanxd likes this
- aw00gah reblogged this from hartlesmage
- aw00gah likes this
- asinnerindespair reblogged this from h2omo
- hellohersheeskisses likes this
- unscientificbalderdash reblogged this from tragic-fantastic
- vocalt reblogged this from thedogsspider
- vocalt likes this
- just-another-day-again reblogged this from brightstartheory
- shinji-icarly likes this
- yeahiminvincible reblogged this from thedarkchocolatedandy
- yesscheeseplease reblogged this from nerdyandshameless
- ifiwasgreeniwoulddie likes this
- moveimronca reblogged this from nicoception
- oklahomosexuality reblogged this from hartlesmage
- digitaldenial likes this
- daggerpen likes this
- girlswhoarewolves reblogged this from brightstartheory
- thedogsspider reblogged this from snow-must-fall
- thedogsspider likes this
- valfoor13 reblogged this from brightstartheory
- valfoor13 likes this
- kelxtam reblogged this from brightstartheory
- tragic-fantastic reblogged this from brightstartheory
- kavvorubunga reblogged this from biguglypig