Maybe put it on a canvas instead of someone’s property, and we can all be happy.
who paying for these canvases or the art programs so these kids can have that? Why should it matter if these run down buildings that never get fixed up anyway get graffiti’d?
Therein lies the issue. Art programs, both visual and performance based, are the first programs to be cut. Canvas ain’t cheap. Neither are the supplies. Much of the graffiti that takes place IS on buildings that are run down. The gov’t didn’t place any value on these properties and yet get pissy with dudes “vandalizing” their shit. You can’t have it both ways, ya dig.
My father was a garment contractor in LA. In the late 80s, he owned the building where he had his factory. He thought it would be a cool idea to commission local graffiti artists, usually young Black and Latino men looking to stay out of trouble, to paint murals on his buildings. After all, he runs a garment design/manufacturing company, and creative signage is great advertising.
One day, he showed up to the building and the city just painted over the murals without permission or notice.
First, the city told him he couldn’t have graffiti art on HIS building because it brought down property value. After he complained, then they said: ok you can do this, but you need a permit. After he got the permit, then the city said: ok, but you can only use these artists. Of course, these artists were all White graphic design students from USC, and of course they charged 3x more.
There is a prejudice against this type of art, and it’s racial. Banksy vandalizes folks buildings all the time, and folks treat him like the Messiah. He ain’t doing nothing new that Black and Brown folks haven’t done for decades.
FUCKING TRUTH RIGHT HERE ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
- missnicolettab likes this
- allalpha reblogged this from kittyandlevin
- living-the-edge reblogged this from murder-she--wrote
- murder-she--wrote reblogged this from living-the-edge
- masterskyrocker likes this
- fidelisadmortem reblogged this from oswinstilinskihowlett
- inlovewithnailart likes this
- spookysheparrrd likes this
- petitcake reblogged this from bear-in-a-spooky-sweater
- ophelia301 likes this
- superherosdontalwaysfly reblogged this from lindsaylohansmugshot
- laliveitup reblogged this from nullkreativitaett
- laliveitup likes this
- hipster-tubbie reblogged this from tearsremindthatyourealive
- nullkreativitaett reblogged this from schlamm-blut
- nullkreativitaett likes this
- liebesverlangen likes this
- hauptsachegluecklichsterben reblogged this from schlamm-blut
- tearsremindthatyourealive reblogged this from wertlose-artefakte
- my-soul-are-only-my likes this
- weiter-leben reblogged this from wertlose-artefakte
- black-white-rabbit reblogged this from wertlose-artefakte
- schlamm-blut reblogged this from wertlose-artefakte
- laufenduncool reblogged this from wertlose-artefakte
- likeyourselfx3 likes this
- jessicalambertzx3 likes this
- schlampensohn reblogged this from wertlose-artefakte
- wertlose-artefakte reblogged this from ueberhyped
- young-and-hostilebutnotstupid reblogged this from habilney and added:
- habilney reblogged this from adorabledeathray
- carboncopy13 reblogged this from hell-oh-love
- carboncopy13 likes this
- dolokhovs reblogged this from hohomylad
- ashley-reve reblogged this from krmercygirl2014
- krmercygirl2014 reblogged this from lankyadventurer
- dirtylittle-damsel likes this
- kitkatkimble reblogged this from lankyadventurer
- lankyadventurer reblogged this from dragonheartuk13
- birthdaycakejaeger likes this
- kissallghostbutts reblogged this from oddeyesight
- giantboombastic reblogged this from b-ak3d
- dragonheartuk13 reblogged this from voxnihilis
- dragonheartuk13 likes this
- whitewintermoon reblogged this from bear-in-a-spooky-sweater
- timesforgotten likes this
- clubpoonguin reblogged this from stationarytomakemehorny
- stationarytomakemehorny reblogged this from hohomylad
- mrfoxinthefields reblogged this from shamblingshitpickle
- nosferatujones reblogged this from hohomylad