Maybe put it on a canvas instead of someone’s property, and we can all be happy.
who paying for these canvases or the art programs so these kids can have that? Why should it matter if these run down buildings that never get fixed up anyway get graffiti’d?
Therein lies the issue. Art programs, both visual and performance based, are the first programs to be cut. Canvas ain’t cheap. Neither are the supplies. Much of the graffiti that takes place IS on buildings that are run down. The gov’t didn’t place any value on these properties and yet get pissy with dudes “vandalizing” their shit. You can’t have it both ways, ya dig.
My father was a garment contractor in LA. In the late 80s, he owned the building where he had his factory. He thought it would be a cool idea to commission local graffiti artists, usually young Black and Latino men looking to stay out of trouble, to paint murals on his buildings. After all, he runs a garment design/manufacturing company, and creative signage is great advertising.
One day, he showed up to the building and the city just painted over the murals without permission or notice.
First, the city told him he couldn’t have graffiti art on HIS building because it brought down property value. After he complained, then they said: ok you can do this, but you need a permit. After he got the permit, then the city said: ok, but you can only use these artists. Of course, these artists were all White graphic design students from USC, and of course they charged 3x more.
There is a prejudice against this type of art, and it’s racial. Banksy vandalizes folks buildings all the time, and folks treat him like the Messiah. He ain’t doing nothing new that Black and Brown folks haven’t done for decades.
FUCKING TRUTH RIGHT HERE ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
- ontaekeyjongho likes this
- pervertnoona reblogged this from bbdinojonghyun
- my-suicidal-lullabies likes this
- kuronoyozora reblogged this from queendickface
- rinku-miku reblogged this from hashtagohjazzmin
- citrus-fiend reblogged this from dealanexmachina
- cantdoacartwheel likes this
- do-notgogentle likes this
- akamaru01 reblogged this from queendickface
- queendickface reblogged this from paulinezi
- paulinezi reblogged this from juliettelovesshinee
- bbdinojonghyun reblogged this from juliettelovesshinee
- pinkieyeol reblogged this from juliettelovesshinee
- juliettelovesshinee reblogged this from banana-milk
- killme-withkisses reblogged this from thoughtsofafeistyginger
- brandi927 likes this
- hashtagohjazzmin reblogged this from heyxxmickey
- redpaperpen reblogged this from moiraea
- l0ve-randa reblogged this from thoughtsofafeistyginger
- toxicfucksgiven reblogged this from bananasaregood-bowtiesarecool
- toxicfucksgiven likes this
- thoughtsofafeistyginger reblogged this from metalcorn
- thoughtsofafeistyginger likes this
- sbsupraboye likes this
- heyagetmarriedalready likes this
- livingfree21 likes this
- inschi reblogged this from creamsicles-r-delicious
- panic-at-thetardis reblogged this from bananasaregood-bowtiesarecool
- stopthewar-hugmore reblogged this from bananasaregood-bowtiesarecool
- locked-and-lokid reblogged this from bananasaregood-bowtiesarecool
- teenagejezebelle likes this
- creamsicles-r-delicious reblogged this from dealanexmachina
- thecupcakelova101 likes this
- bananasaregood-bowtiesarecool reblogged this from bombastic-bagginses
- selki likes this
- asokkalypsenow likes this
- mechanicaltriquetra reblogged this from themadwhitaker
- mechanicaltriquetra likes this
- fjallow99 likes this
- ragamuffian reblogged this from ninja-tittied
- im-not-only-crazy reblogged this from majestic-kitties
- derpinessandluckycharms reblogged this from justthatrandomcrazyperson
- suicidalpilot reblogged this from 4everash-oh-lay
- ceo-cunninglinguistics likes this
- justthatrandomcrazyperson reblogged this from creepsmcpasta
- po0lshark reblogged this from luvstains
- luvstains reblogged this from lovethebrokengirl
- luvstains likes this
- lovethebrokengirl reblogged this from bbykatiebear