What’s funny to me about all the “well you have to be willing to educate people nicely if you want equality” posts is how many educational posts I see crossing my dash from Tumblrs that exist specifically to educate people every day. And then there are the academic posts that come up from time to time from people who are “popular” that get very few reblogs versus the kitten pics or whatever. And all of that stuff is easy to find with Google or via Tumblr’s tag system. That’s before you get to the things found in libraries, on academic websites, & the ever present Wikipedia. The same people who get mad that marginalized bloggers won’t drop everything to hold their hands can’t be arsed to use any of the resources at their disposal, but bloggers are the problem? Farreal?
And that’s before we get into the things these asshats think they have a right to know. Nothing to do with stats, or who to vote for or against, no they want intimate personal details from complete strangers. They want pain porn & they want people to be happy about their questions. They want to satisfy their curiosity & maybe get a little thrill over how enlightened they are & then they’re right back to their lives still not having lifted a finger. And they think they’re not bigots, because they don’t hate anyone. They want everyone to be equal!, they just don’t want that equality to cost them anything. Not even a moment of discomfort, or actual intellectual effort. No, they want to be spoonfed & they refuse to see what’s wrong with that so somehow it’s everyone else’s responsibility to be sweet & kind no matter what rude foul shit they say. If you can’t figure out we’re humans without hand holding why on earth would we think you’re our allies?
Bang, bang, bang.
they can turn off the computer and walk away and nothing we say or do helps THEM or changes THEIR lives.
So they think that there is of course no way that we affect each others’ lives with our help, financial and emotional support, and funding for projects and whatnot.
Because we don’t do it for THEM.
So basically their cries of “all this stuff you do doesn’t change anything or actually help anybody” really means “none of this is helping meeee, so it doesn’t matter”.
I actually feel less irked about it now.
Because I know my five bucks here and there, my info or personal stories or my “here’s a link to a clinic in your area” is doing what it needs to do.
This explains eveything.
i saw that fuckyeahhardfemme and some of my tumblr friends reblogged pictures of kateordie, a popular queer comic artist on tumblr, and her comics. she talks a lot about bisexuality & queerness in her comics/posts and she is a feminist who is all about girrrrl power so lots of queers and feminists flock around her like she’s some icon. i used to love her, too, but damn she fucked up hella bad and didn’t clean up her cissexist, transmisogynistic mess.
she drew a picture of various vulvae and a banner around them that said “love your lady parts”. she even wrote a little comment that basically said, “i know this language isn’t inclusive but i have trans* men friends so can you just appreciate the art?”. of course hella trans* ppl, including trans* women, called her out but she didn’t reply to anything or issue an apology.
1. this is majorly fucked up esp since kate leth is pretty popular and she has a lot of LGBT youth flocking to her. a lot of comics about bisexuality, queerness, self-harm, EDs, adolescent insecurities seem aimed towards queer teens and a lot went to her for advice about queer issues, coming out, depression, etc. ok, cool, kate, but apparently you don’t give a fuck about the T? what about young trans* girls??? trans* boys? do you give a fuck about non-cis queer kids???
2. she never apologized or responded properly to the call-out. seriously, she didn’t even bother to shit out some half-assed apology. she wrote another post saying a trans* person gave her some advice on to change the wording and tried to change the subject by saying, “well, the pope said gay marriage was going to end the world so that’s something”. then, she proceeded to derail and cry white women tears because someone said her chin was ugly in a flood of anon hate.
3. she KNEW it was problematic. she KNEW. she wrote a comment under the picture when she first published it. but maybe we can just shut up and enjoy the art??
4. she wrote an article about comics for some website and she criticized everyone because they were overly politically correct and really “nitpicky”. so apparently being not equating vaginae with lady parts is really nitpicky?
i read through a lot of the call-outs and many of them were white trans* ppl (most of her fanbase seem to be white LGBT ppl) reminding kate, “hey this isn’t cool” but apparently it was too harsh for her? she got hella support, too, so maybe she felt like her anti-trans*ness was justified. she’s another white, cis women whose queer feminism is, as usual, transmisogynistic and trans* exclusive.
i couldn’t find her drawing or her follow-up post. maybe she deleted it? i don’t know. anyway, kateordie lost a fomerly devoted fan because wow, seriously, way to be a queer feminist by excluding trans* women.
Most of our people have been asked variations on these questions when we assert our Nican Tlaca (Indigenous) identity.
Those of us who have some knowledge respond with “I am Mexica”. The majority of our people, who do not seriously understand our history, will respond with, “I am Aztec” or the worst of all answers is “I’m not really an Indian.”
There are problems with these three answers, but there is a bigger problem with the question. It assumes that all or most Nican Tlaca are or were tribal and that we have all been assimilated or killed off. The truth is that we have been colonized, culturally castrated, racially raped, kept ignorant of our heritage, deprived of the ownership and the wealth of our land, but we are still here (ignorant and damaged as human beings, but we are still here).
Over the last 500 years we have suffered racism’s indignities, and the European parasitic uses of our people and our continent. Because we are ignorant of our history and our true identity it is difficult for our people to respond to the two questions listed above. We are a people who have been left traumatized and leaderless from the 500 years of European persistent assaults on our humanity.
When we are armed with knowledge, we should respond like this, when we are asked:
What Indian tribe do you belong to?
Before I answer your question, I would like to know what tribe you belong to.
But I’m not an Indian, I’m white!
Well, you’re more like a pink or a yellowish person, or very pale, but you are definitely not the color white.
You know what I mean, I’m European American, of German and English descent. We have no tribes, never had tribes. We have always been civilized.
That’s not true. The Germanic tribes, your ancestors, came out of central Asia about two thousand years ago and they invaded Europe. The Romans called your ancestors “Barbarians”. Your tribes were called “Uncivilized”, and many other uncomplimentary names, because they were a savage people. Most of your ancestors only became somewhat civilized about 1,500 years ago, and some only in the last 1,000 years. Your ancestors were very savage and very primitive. Our ancestors were building cities, bathing, developing astronomy and mathematics over 4,300 years ago. Your people only started bathing 200 years ago. These are known facts, some of this history was written down by the Romans, as you were vandalizing and destroying their civilization. More of this uncivilized behavior of your people also happened as you were savagely vandalizing and destroying our civilization.
Our people have been civilized for over 4,300 years. The majority of our people were living in large cities when your pirate ancestors were invading our land in 1492.
Yeah, but we’re not tribes anymore. I didn’t mean to offend you. I just noticed that you look like an Indian and I was curious as to what tribe you were. You’re implying that you are part of the Aztecs or Mayas. I thought that we had killed all of them.
We have been trying to educate your people since you first broke-and-entered onto our land 500 years ago, but you won’t listen:
ONE: Indians are people from India. Columbus and his pirates still thought that they had come to India when they started to invade our land. Columbus’ ignorance and racism live on to this day, in that we are still erroneously called “Indians”. The piracy and uncivilized behavior continues. It is continued by the European illegal squatter descendants of those pirates, that’s you, here, talking to me. You, the ones who call us “illegal” and “foreigners”.
TWO: When your ancestors invaded our continent, the majority of our people were living in large cities, large towns, and the cluster villages (suburbs) that were around those cities and towns. We were in our majority an urban people with no “tribal” status. We were not savage or primitive as you imply. Even our people who were “tribal” were not savage or primitive. The Europeans who invaded our urban and tribal areas were the ones who were savage in their behavior, and primitive in their humanity.
THREE: Your ancestors killed the majority of our population. They also destroyed our cities and built European cities on those sites, using us as slave labor and the masonry from the ruins of our cities (to build those “new European cities” on our continent). Our Anahuac “European Indian Schools” and Trail of Tears really started back in the 16th and 17th centuries.
FOUR: During the first 100 years of European invasion, the 5% of our cities’ population that survived the savage Genocidal attacks of the Europeans, were divided and relocated to reinforce our enslavement. Some of us were sent to the sparsely populated tribal northern areas of Anahuac, and some into the densely populated south of Anahuac, as a way to extend the European invasion—-and their squatter settlements. The relocation and mixing of our people from the different cities and towns was a way to dilute and destroy our culture, our languages, our history, and our theology. It was also a way to force the Spanish language, Spanish names, Christian religion, and Spanish culture on our people. During that same period of forced relocation, our people were formally enslaved and we were subjected to constant rapes and more killings. Our leadership and educators were massacred during this period.
Adding to our confusion, our relocated people from the different language cities intermarried in these times. Some of the children of those mixed urban cultured children intermarried with the children of the raped. Later these urban people intermarried with tribal people of the north and the children of rape were themselves raped for another generation and generations after that.
These added confusions have all brought about the destruction of us as an independent Nican Tlaca people and the collapse of our Anahuac civilizations. It has left us ignorant of our true identity and our true heritage. We have suffered all of this humiliation and disaster and all of the savage stunning blows of the European genocidal agenda for the last 500 years.
So, we have to explain all of this to you Europeans (and to our own people) so that we can say that our people are Nican Tlaca and that most of us are of no particular tribe. Most of us never belonged to a tribe. We are part of the Anahuac nation which is made up of over 150 million descendants of those people, who (in our majority) lived in great cities and small towns. We are part of the forced mixing of the people from the different cities of Anahuac. We are also part of the rural (northern) forced mixing of one tribe with another. We are, further on in our history, part of the mixing of the city and the tribal people throughout our Anahuac nation. And, yes, sadly most of our people have had our gene pool polluted to different degrees of scar with the cancerous DNA-blood that was raped into us by Europeans, but 30% of our people were lucky enough to have not been affected by the rape of our nation, they still have no European blood in them. The rest of us have been culturally and/or physically disfigured by these historic rapes, relocations and the attacks on our identity and our humanity.
But this rape issue does not take away from any of us being Nican Tlaca, or part of the Anahuac heritage of our people, no matter how light or how “European-looking” some of us may be. The majority of us can remove all doubts as to our Nican Tlaca identity by looking at our whole family (cousins, aunts, grandparents, great-grandparents) to see that we are Nican Tlaca. We only have to look at the land on which we stand to see that this is not European land, it is Nican Tlaca land. And the racial rape and cultural castration of our nation does not take away our ownership of our land or its wealth—-no matter what European squatters claim, or what European broken treaties were made, or how many soldiers and atomic bombs your people have, this is still our land.
You need to look at us as the victims of your people’s ongoing criminal racist greed—-and past barbaric criminal actions. You need to look at us realistically, not as some remnants of some almost extinct animals that you have caged in a zoo (that you call a ghetto or a reservation) for the amusement of your people. You need to put yourselves in our shoes to see our people’s losses of the wealth of our land, and your missing guilt, and your ignorance of how you profit from the crimes of your ancestors, and your people’s lack of humanity in all of this monstrous history.
And this isn’t just in Anahuac that your people have done this. Your people did this in Hawaii, the Philippines, Alaska, and everywhere else that your race has gone on our planet.
There are also implications in the general tone of voice when you speak to us that need to be addressed. When you asked your questions, you asked them in a tone that says that you are superior, and that you are the guiltless legitimate (by force) owners of our land. That practiced superiority in your voice needs to be confronted.
Your people are not superior to us in any way! You are in fact inferior to us in your morals, ethics, and humanity—-by your collective actions of the last 500 years.
You have been successful at keeping us ignorant of our heritage and of our true condition of slavery. You have caused us the poverty in which we live—-depriving us of the vast wealth of our land.
We have barely survived your attempts at ethnocide and genocide.
But through all of the genocide, destruction, enslavement, and the other crimes that you have committed against us, we have lost one major battle, and that was the battle to keep our sense of being important human beings. This item on the list of crimes that your people committed should be your everlasting shame.
We are arming our people with knowledge and courage to undo that damage and all of the other crimes that you have done! We are going to be “in your face” about the crimes of your ancestors and your ongoing participation in those past crimes, and your ongoing crimes.
But the Spaniards were the ones who did all of those crimes to you, not us.
So, now you, as an English/German people, want to separate yourself from your brother and sister European Spaniards, the ones who “discovered” our land and began the genocide (and taught you how to do it). Your ancestors came here also as murdering pirates, genocidal monsters, liars, etc., just like the Spaniards. You are all Europeans. You all claim to be “Christian”, but in reality you are all part of one genocidal European people colonizing-oppressing-exploiting this planet! These crimes that we speak to you about are collective European crimes because you have all benefited from these crimes. We will not let you weasel yourselves out of your past crimes or allow you to continue in your current parasitic behavior.
|—||Allan G. Johnson (via wretchedoftheearth)|
|—||Allan G. Johnson (via wretchedoftheearth)|
This is a resource post for all the Good White Person™s out there. You know, the ones who say things like “It’s not my fault I’m white! Don’t generalize white people!”, or “I’m appreciating your culture! You should be proud!”, or “Why do you hate all white people, look I’m a special snowflake who’s not racist give me an award for meeting the minimum requirements for being a decent human being”.
Well, if you are actually interested in understanding racism and how it ties into cultural appropriation, please read instead of endlessly badgering PoCs on tumblr with your cliched, unoriginal arguments and repeating the same questions over and over.
On White Privilege
aka don’t blame me just because I’m white:
- It’s Not My Fault I Was Born White: Basics of White Privilege x
- Racial Divide x
- Endless Examples of White Privilege x
- You Cannot Know What It’s Like To Be A Racial Minority x
- Intersectional Feminism x
- White Privilege Does Not Mean White People Have Perfect Lives x
- White Privilege and White Supremacy: A Presentation x
- You Will Never Experience Racism x
- Understanding White Privilege x
- White Privilege and Double Standards x
- Systematic White Ignorance x
- The Invisibility of White Privilege x
- The Luxury of White Privilege x
- White Privilege: The Harry Potter Analogy x
- Privilege Denial Bingo x
- Privilege and Cost x
- Check Your Privilege 101 x
- Whiteness x
- Whiteness is Not A Culture x
- White Privilege and Racism x
- Deeply Embarrassed White People Talk About Race x
- When White Anti Racists Talk About ~Their Struggle~ x
- White Privilege As A System x
On Reverse Racism
aka you are being racist against white people:
- Are White People Racially Oppressed x
- White People, the new Racial Minority x
- People Don’t Value Pale Skin!! x
- There Is No Such Thing As Reverse Racism x
- Racism vs. Not Racism x
- But White People Are Discriminated Against In Foreign Countries x
- The Myth of Reverse Racism: Why Cracker is Not N**** x
- Satire: A Step Wise Guide on Being Reverse Racist x
- Racism Against White People vs. Racism Against POCs x
On Cultural Appropriation
aka I’m just appreciating your culture:
- The Basics x
- Identifying Appropriation x
- But When We Wear It … x
- Why Can’t I Wear It (Hipster Headdresses) x
- Not Yours x
- If You Take The Bindi x
- White People Do It Better x
- Multiculturalism and Appropriation x
- Cultural Appropriation and Portrayals In Print Media x
- Diminishing the Cultural Significance of the Bindi x
- The Cultural Appropriation Bingo x
- Why We’re Fed Up of Your Responses x
- Identities Are Not Costumes x
- Hinduism And Appropriation x
- Religion and Privilege x
- Bindis Are Cool x
- Exotic India x
- What’s Wrong With Cultural Appropriation x
- Racism, Bindis and Ganesh Tattoos x
- BUT YOU’RE SPEAKING ENGLISH! x
- Cultural Appropriation Trolls x
- Guide to Being An Appropriating Douchefuck x
- New Age ~Culture Mixing~ x
- In case you’re tired of the prose, here’s poetry x
- Why You Shouldn’t Wear A Bindi x
- Appropriating and Sharing x
- Our Culture is A Punchline Until It’s a Trend x
- Homage Or Insult x
- Tattoos and Appropriation x
- Bollywood is Not Synonymous With Indian x
- College Party Costumes and Stereotypes x
- Dotheads x
- Bindis and Racist Humour x
- Hindu Iconography x
- Misuse of Hindu Iconography x
- Your Appreciation Doesn’t Help Us x
Assorted Vials of White Tears and Miscellaneous Antidotes
aka I can’t change that I’m white/not all whites are racist/we are all humans:
- Unoriginal Arguments Refuted x
- Quick Checklist: You Might Be Racist If x
- Your Opinion Isn’t Necessary x
- I’m Not Responsible For My Ancestors x
- The Kumbayah Myth x
- Proud to Be White x
- Good White Person x
- We Don’t Hate White People x
- Brutality of Colonialism And Why You Can’t Tell Us To Forget the Past x
- People Who Claim Not To See Race Are More Likely to Be Racist x
- All Races are Beautiful Said the White Girl x
- Race Blindness Is A Luxury x
- Well, You’re Racist For Calling Me Racist x
- I’ve Read About Its Significance, I Know What It Means
- Angry Because Someone Called You Racist x
- We’re Not All Like That x
- People Only Care About This Trivial Shit On The Internet x
- I Can’t Apologize for Being Born White, It’s Not My Fault x
- Why Can’t You Tell Me What I’m Doing Wrong x
- It’s Easy to Be Color Blind When You’re White x
- A Diagrammatic Guide To White Tears x
- Conversations I’m Sick Of Having With White People x
- Why Do You Hate White People x
- I’m Trying To Be Cultured x
- Sisyphean Conundrum x
- What is Your Problem x
- We Are All Human, We All Bleed Red x
- It’s Just A Bindi x
- How Not To Respond To Accusations of Racism x
- I’m Italian And 0.009% Native American x
- What White People Think Racism Means: A Venn Diagram x
- White Guilt x
- White Pride!!!111!!! x
- I Like *Insert Foreign Country* I Want To Live There x
- You Have So Much Hate, Fighting Fire With Fire Won’t Help x
- BooHoo, Don’t Call Me Racist x
- Not Everything Ended With Your Ancestors x
- The Racist Reaction x
- I Don’t See Why That Is Racist x
- Crummy Apologies x
Okay. I agree. I’ve been socially conditioned not to notice racism and recognize my privilege. What can I do?
I don’t care about this bullshit; you’re making a big deal out of nothing, go home and delete your blog:
This is an INCREDIBLE resource post, thank you!
And to any fellow white people this reaches, remember that we are not owed this education! This (and most of the linked posts) are herculean efforts, given because of how terrible we’ve acted. Be grateful. For that matter, some material on how to apologize is necessary for us as well. Here are a couple more links:
When white people are like “I don’t see how this is racist” “I don’t see how this is offensive”
EXACTLY! That’s the fucking point! You don’t see because you are an insensitive fuck! You really do not see! You don’t want to see, you don’t try to see and therefor you don’t see! No shit! You’ve been told your entire life that you don’t have to see other people’s side of things and that your own opinion and comfort always matter the most! Saying “I don’t see how” is not some fucking revolutionary statement you’re making. You’re just like every other person who can’t see past their privilege. You’re not special for not being able to see how something that is clearly hurtful and racist is hurtful and racist! If you actually recognize that you’ve done something wrong and aren’t entitled to other people’s culture, that makes you look bad. And, of course, you don’t want that! Maybe if you looked past yourself and your feelings (which by the way, don’t matter) about the subject and actually listened to the millions of people willing to offer their perspective and an explanation about why it is offensive and racist you’d know! But you’d rather stay in your comfort zone (that you have the luxury and privilege of even having) of not seeing! No shit, you “don’t see”!